November 12, 2011

Long Trips with Hoes

A while ago, my daughter and I made a date with another family to go on a trip out of town. We didn't know them TOO well, so I was no prepared for what was about to go down. And what I mean by "go down" is me trying not to act shocked and appalled because I knew we were spending all day with these people.
We started the trip with small talk, probably talking about how nice the weather was, or whatever it is you talk with people about when you first meet them. Not fifteen minutes into the trip she confessed that

  • she cheated on her husband the past weekend, 
  • it was an acceptable thing to do
  • stripping for money is very fun and rewarding
  • monogamy is stupid
  • I need to try ecstasy
  • ... among others that may no be acceptable for this post, but you get the idea

...come again? Did you just..... ummm... wow....  Did that just happen? Is was about that time, I was very thankful that my daughter had not learned to talk yet. 

She then asked for my "honest opinion".... uhhhh... right. I'm not suicidal. I just tried to smile and nod (a trick I learned from my husband) and I hoped she wouldn't bring it up for the rest of the day. It turns out that I have gotten used to my hubby speaking his mind and saying what I am thinking for me, so that he looks like the jerk and I get to keep my "lady" image. When he is gone... I'm not really sure what to do in situations like this. So I didn't do much of anything. 

I share this story because as military wives, it isn't uncommon to tell people you just met every excruciatingly intimate part of your life when you first meet them. I don't understand it, but I'm sure it has to do with so many people trying to make quick connections with people since they move around so much. I am new to this, so I'm not really sure, but that seems to make sense. Right? I still think it's incredibly weird and unnecessary, but this isn't the only instance of it happening. The most uncomfortable, for sure, but not the only. Maybe I just am meeting all the people with no sense of boundaries (more on that in a later post).  I for one and comfortable with boundaries. 

...that's great and all, but what do YOU think?
why does this happen so much?
what would you have done in my situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment